Articles on this Page
- 01/11/19--21:25: _Foreign visitors to...
- 01/11/19--21:27: _More people identif...
- 01/11/19--21:21: _Japanese Olympic he...
- 01/13/19--18:05: _Japanese police arr...
- 01/13/19--17:57: _Veteran Japanese ac...
- 01/13/19--18:00: _'Diamond dust' ice ...
- 01/13/19--18:06: _JAL fails to make l...
- 01/15/19--02:01: _Kabuki actor Ebizo ...
- 01/15/19--02:08: _Coming-of-Age Day: ...
- 01/15/19--22:03: _Google Japan failed...
- 01/15/19--21:58: _Disappointing data ...
- 01/15/19--22:02: _Japanese workforce ...
- 01/15/19--22:05: _Hyogo: American man...
- 01/15/19--22:00: _Johnny, oldest chim...
- 01/15/19--21:51: _Carlos Ghosn denied...
- 01/15/19--21:55: _JOC head denies cor...
- 01/16/19--18:35: _Tokyo plans redevel...
- 01/16/19--18:36: _Car driven by 79-yr...
- 01/16/19--18:41: _There are many ment...
- 01/16/19--18:42: _Grand champion Kise...
- 01/11/19--21:25: Foreign visitors top 30 million in 2018
- 01/11/19--21:21: Japanese Olympic head facing charges
- 01/13/19--18:05: Japanese police arrest leading suspect in fraudulent Tokyo land deal
- 01/13/19--17:57: Veteran Japanese actress Etsuko Ichihara dies of heart failure at 82
- 01/13/19--18:00: 'Diamond dust' ice crystals seen in Hokkaido town
- 01/13/19--18:06: JAL fails to make list of 20 safest airlines
- 01/15/19--02:01: Kabuki actor Ebizo to assume the name of Danjuro
- 01/15/19--21:58: Disappointing data shows Japan's not back yet
- 01/15/19--22:02: Japanese workforce projected to be 20% smaller by 2040
- 01/15/19--22:05: Hyogo: American man admits to manslaughter in killing of woman
- 01/15/19--22:00: Johnny, oldest chimp in Japan, dies at 69
- 01/15/19--21:51: Carlos Ghosn denied bail
- 01/15/19--21:55: JOC head denies corruption allegations
- 01/16/19--18:35: Tokyo plans redevelopment of Tsukiji market site
- 01/16/19--18:41: There are many mentally unwell girls in AKB48, claims ex-member
- 01/16/19--18:42: Grand champion Kisenosato retires from sumo
The number of foreign visitors to Japan topped 30 million for the first time ever in 2018.
At least one in eleven people identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender, according to a survey conducted by advertising giant Dentsu Inc., while more than two-thirds of respondents were familiar with the acronym LGBT. (Kyodo)
French authorities say a judge is considering charging the president of the Japanese Olympic Committee with corruption. It's in connection with the awarding of the 2020 Tokyo Games.
A 59-year-old man believed to be one of the main suspects in a bogus land deal in Tokyo has been arrested, a key development in the investigation into a mass-scale fraud that swindled billions of yen from the country’s leading house builder. (Japan Times)
Etsuko Ichihara, a veteran Japanese actress known for her role in a popular long-running TV drama series, has died of heart failure at a Tokyo hospital, her office said Sunday. She was 82. (Japan Times)
A winter phenomenon known as "diamond dust" has been observed in the town of Biei in the northern Japanese prefecture of Hokkaido.
Japan Airlines has been excluded from a list of the world's 20 safest airlines. The carrier had been on the list for 3 years in a row from 2016.
Kabuki star Ichikawa Ebizo says he will assume his family's prestigious stage name of Danjuro next year.
Tokyo Metropolitan Police have arrested a 23-year-old man who splashed sauce on the clothing of women participating in Coming-of-Age Day ceremonies in Suginami Ward on Monday, reports NHK (tokyoreporter.com)
Tokyo tax authorities have found that Google Japan failed to declare about ¥3.5 billion in income for 2015, a source close to the matter said Tuesday.
Haruhiko Kuroda may rue the day he visited Nagoya. In a Nov. 5 speech to business leaders in the city, the Bank of Japan governor came close to declaring the end of deflation and the dawn of a new era. (Japan Times)
The workforce in 2040 is projected to be 20 percent smaller than in 2017 due to overall population decline if the economy sees no growth and women and the elderly continue to have difficulty landing jobs, according to government study released Tuesday. (Japan Times)
An American man accused of manslaughter in the death of a 27-year-old woman and dumping it last year admitted to the allegations at the opening of his trial on Tuesday, reports the Asahi Shimbun (tokyoreporter.com)
Japan's oldest chimpanzee, Johnny, has died at the estimated age of 69, a zoo in western Japan said Tuesday. (Kyodo)
A Tokyo court has denied bail to Nissan Motor's former Chairman. Carlos Ghosn has been in detention for nearly two months since November.
The head of Japan's Olympic Committee is denying any wrongdoing related to allegations he used bribes to help secure the 2020 Tokyo Games.
The Tokyo Metropolitan Government appears to be considering redeveloping the former site of the Tsukiji food market as a venue for international conferences and expos.
A car driven by a 79-year-old man ran onto the sidewalk near Tokyo's bustling Shinjuku Station on Wednesday afternoon, hitting and injuring five passers-by, police said. (Kyodo)
Being an idol singer in Japan is at least as much about the personality you radiate as the vocals you produce. Sure, idol songs may be almost invariably sweet and sugary, but the performers themselves are expected to be even more cheerful, cultivating the sort of earnest, plucky persona that attracts loyal fanbases. (Japan Today)
Grand champion Kisenosato, the only Japanese wrestler at sumo's highest rank, decided to retire Wednesday after three straight losses at the New Year Grand Sumo Tournament. (Japan Today)